Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Roblyer Chapter 7: Internet & Other Distance Learning Tools

Responses due by 9/15 at 9am. Choose one of the following questions to answer for this chapter. In your response, indicate if you're answering Question 1 or Question 2.

QUESTION 1.
This chapter briefly discusses four categories of communication on the web (1. Email, 2. Listservs, Bulletin Boards, and Blogs, 3. Chatrooms, Instant Messaging, and Video Conferencing, and 4. Cyber Collaborations). Which of these are techniques are you most interested in using in your future classes and why? Use evidence from what you've learned about student knowledge and understanding to justify and explain your choices.

QUESTION 2.
Examine the criteria for evaluating website content on page 236. Choose two of the criteria listed and explain how evaluating those criteria might help you find websites that are particularly well-suited to supporting deep learning and digital-age learning experiences. Use your knowledge of student learning and/or the NETS-T to justify your argument.

23 comments:

Bryndy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryndy said...

As a teacher the technique that I would use the most would be email. Since I am interested more in the younger grades I think that my students will have the easiest time using email. I can use email for emailing my students before school starts to get to know them. By knowing my students I will be able to establish trust with my students, and create an environment where they will feel comfortable learning. Also I can get to know them so that I can know how they learn best and incorporate different teaching strategies into my lesson. In the book it states that emails can "improve students' writing, and gave them more immediate purpose for writing." I agree with this because when I write emails to my peers I try to make sure that I use the correct spelling, and grammar. It also is a lot more fun to me to write to my fellow peers instead of writing an essay or paper. I concentrate more on my writing in order to make sure that it makes sense so they are not confused.
I think that having email in my classroom will create deep learning because the kids can relate to their personal lives while using email. By doing something that they want to like emailing their friends, they can improve their writing skills and gain a skill that will benefit them through out their educational careers.

Amanda Roper said...

I think that as a teacher I would most use the e-mail. Since I would be e-mailing my students and they could e-mail me. I would think that it would open up great disscusions because the student wouldn't feel like they were going to be judge or like any one else was going to read the e-mail. They would feel safe in talking to me in this form.

Kristin Zito said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin Zito said...

Question 1

As a teacher, I will most likely be using email on a regular basis to communicate with other teachers and with the parents of my students. Because I am going to be teaching preschool-age children, they will not be emailing each other. I may also use a Bulletin Board or blog so that parents can communicate with each other about issues with their children, getting together for play dates, etc. I have also worked in several classrooms in different school districts and have seen that most teachers have an instant messaging program so that they can communicate with other teachers about who is not at school that day, the class is running late, and other school-related topics. I may use something like that in my classroom, but again, it would not be for the students' use. The majority of the communication I would have would be with parents and other teachers.

Brandie B. said...

Question 1:
As a teacher i would probably use email and a class blog the most. I want to work with kindergarten aged children, so they won't really be able to use email, but it is a great way to keep in contact with the students parents and let them know what is going on for the day and how their student is doing. I just know that email, was one of the easiest ways my mom could stay involved with our schooling, and I know it will probably be the easiest way to get in touch with my students' parents. I also like the idea of having a class blog, so the kids,(can have their parents get them on), can look at the blog and kind of get an idea of what my class might be like. I would want to put pictures of my class room up, and maybe some examples of projects that we will do. I think it could be a great way to get the kids excited to come to school and learn many new things.

sparklingpink_pixiedust said...

Question 1:

In reading the textbook about cyber collaboration, it stated that there are applications that include "interactive fiction." I would like to use this in an older class that had more knowlegde of computers after we had read a book as a class. Not only would it reinforce the literature, it would also provide a way for students to aquire knowledge about computers. It would also strengthen social skills as they would have to interact with each other in order to play out the story. The book also suggested that email is a good way for students to strengthen their typing and writing skills. I know for me that as I was growing up, the computer boom was barely starting. I had a hard time in elementary school with typing, but it wasn't until I was emailing people and writing papers for school that I developed my skill of typing. I have an easier time now catching my mistakes and fixing them than when I was younger. As a teacher I want to give my students as many opportunities to get better at typing while they are young when it can be corrected and improved upon easier than when they are older.

kkimble3140 said...

Question 1

As a teacher I am most interested in #2 (Listservs, Bulletin Boards, and Blogs). I believe this is a good way to communicate with students and as a teacher I could give students resources they need for class, such as homework assignments or links for educational games or learning materials.It would also be a way of keeping parents involved with class because they would be able to see everything as well and also be able to ask questions through blogs or bulletin boards. A bulletin board would also be a good place for kids to get together and collaborate on projects or areas that they are having difficulty with. They can ask questions and get help. It would also be a good way for me to see their thinking process and areas they are having trouble with.

Maria B said...

Question 1:

As a future elementary teacher I feel that the use of e-mail and bulletin boards would be the best form of communication. Because at the elementary age parents are very involved with their students and their work, it is important that they have access to information about ongoing class work. The group members of the BB would be both the students of the class and their parents. Through the use of bulletin boards students and parents are able to reflect on class projects and see upcoming assignments and projects while simultaneously be able to comment to the teacher or fellow parents and students. Positive parental comments could be a great way to motivate students. In addition, as young students are learning their own organizational skills, a bulletin board could be a great way for them to learn structure. They could use the bulletin board as a planner. It is also important to remember that the younger the age the simpler computer tools need to be. I feel that e-mail is crucial due to the fact that it is private. Many parents and/or students would much rather communicate without having other classmates or parents have access to that specific information.

Christar said...

Question 1:

I definitely love using a classroom blog and could see myself using that in my classroom. Since I've been blogging personally for quite some time now, I've really grown to love it and love how you create your own community. I think it would be fun and educational to allow students to create their own blog for the class and then give feedback with one another and even make projects or do assignments over the blog. It really creates a great community and not to mention, it's fun.

Kelli Searle said...

Question 1

As a teacher I think that the technique I will use the most will be email. I'm planning on teaching younger grades,and I think there will only be so much we could to as a class with technology at that age. I think that this is the best way to keep in contact with other teachers and administrators, especially with questions and concerns. I think that it will be another option for keeping in touch with parents as well.
A lot of children come from homes where both parents work, and emailing just might be a better option for them. This is also a good technique to use with the students, and who knows with the advances being made everyday with technology it may become more sophisticated, and because of this these are skills that the students need to develop. By having the students email you, could also be an excellent way for the students to practice writing, and spelling with the technology they will be using.

Mich.Milazzo said...

I am most interested in communication with my classroom via email. This is a quick and efficient way to keep in contact with my students as well as their parents and share important information. Related to email I would also want to set up a Listserv (I just refer to it as a distribution list) for when I have a mass email to send out. I feel that emailing would be a cost effective way to incorporate parent involvement in the classroom, give them individual updates and correspondence, and cut down on paper waste and postage costs. For parents who may not have easy access to a computer, it would be as simple as printing the mass email I sent to everyone else, and mailing it to them.

I also plan to make a class website/bulletin board so I can have important information, calendars, curriculum plans, class assignments and other important information so that way everyone is always current with what they need to know about our classroom. This would be for parent as well as student use. I would also try and post informational links that would help students with research projects, or helpful parenting tips for the adults.

Melody U said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melody U said...

Question 2

Evaluating the information providers is very important because if the people who provide the information aren't creditable then there is no telling how reliable the information is. Learning wrong information can be worse than not knowing anything at all.

Evaluating information currency is also important. We are constantly discovering more about the world around us, sometimes new findings can contradict our former beliefs. When evaluating currency one should note how often information on that topic tends to change. Math doesn't change much if ever at all but technology information is always in flux.

kary anderson said...

Question 1
Of the four categories of communication on the web to use in future classes, I would use #2) listservs, bulletin boards and blogs. In one of my classes already I had a chance to use a bulletin board, the efficiency was superb. While we were trying to get a collaborative paper finished, all of our schedules were conflicting, and this way all we had to do was look at what was already posted, added our comments, fixed what we thought was not proper english, or the best way to get out point across, and it worked out the best. I will use this exact same bb again. I think we will also in life always use email.

Jon and Briana said...

Question 1
I would like to use blogs for my classroom learning. I am partial to blogs because I am proficient in using the technology offered and therefore can better teach my students. I feel that this would add deeper learning because students can read peers thoughts and add their own. In addition students can log on the blog at any time therefore affording the children time to reflect on the matter portrayed on the site.

analogirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
analogirl said...

Response to Kristen Zito:
That is interesting to hear about your ideas for using these tools in your classroom,regardless of the fact that your students will be so young. Good ideas. I hope that you enjoy this parent to teacher interface, and think that is a good way to apply this technology. I wonder, could pre school age kids be able to play games and such on computers? I think I have seen kinds of computers that are a sort of toy designed for that age.

analogirl said...

Question 1: As a teacher I think I would use Email, bulletin boards and blogs. I think every teacher just about has to use email as a communication tool with parents. I would try to use it with my students more as well. I think it is a good way to communicate about problems and successes with the student and parents. I think the bulletin boards would help the students to organize themselves if they forgot what homework they have or how to accomplish it, and blogs could be a student to student way of communicating, and could be used as homework help, project ideas, etc. I think it would be great to get the kids excited about using these because I am not good at using these tools myself, and would have liked to have more of an opportunity to learn and become techno-literate.

cbrizle said...

Question #1:
I am most interested in using email in my future classrooms. I like email because it is pretty simple. Some of the other techniques sound so complex that I would think they would distract the kids more than promote deep learning. Maybe I am being too harsh, but I think simpler is better especially for the elementary age students. Besides being simple i think it is more formal as well, so students are most likely to put forth their best effort. Like the book says, email has great potential to improve communication among students, teachers, and parents and also students' writing. Having students email others gave them more purpose and motivated them to write longer passages and have greater confidence. This is why I would use email as a technique in my future classroom.

Lynell Hamblen said...

Question #1 Robyler Chapter 7

In my future classes I am most interested in using email. This would be easiest to use with younger students. I can email each student at the beginning of the day and interact with them throughout the school year. Also the students can use email to have a pen pal with another student in a different state or country that has been set up to have email pen pals. The students will learn different cultures from their pen pals. This will help them learn about different cultures and beliefs. I can email the class with web sites I want them to use during that day. For example a interactive site about dinosaurs. Instead of having to print out a lot of pages telling about the site and having them do the activity, I can just send out a email to the whole class, giving instructions about the activity. Then I would have an over head for anyone who did not receive the email. Another good use of email with student learning is to have them email a story to a person in the class. This works on English activities as well as technology. Children learn best when doing an activity and email can be used to communicate as well as doing activities.

Will Walden said...

I'm most interested in using blogs for my future classroom. Yes, I will use email for personal communication as well. Blogs, however are a nice format for my interests, namely, furthering the students' literacy development in everything they do, and more generally, tying in all aspects of the curriculum together as much as possible. One of the problems with compartmentalized subects (i.e. math, vocab, social studies, writing, etc.) is that it tends to rob the subjects of their authenticity, which in turn robs the students of their motivation to engage deeply. However, if kids use blogs to communicate, it gives them an authentic purpose for their writing and also allows open comments and feedback from other students on their "published" work. Blogs are also of such a format to conveniently allow news posts, bulletins, and things of that sort, with also room for comments. I think it's a valuable tool for both graded and ungraded writing.

Sarah Bedard said...

Question #1

I will be teaching second grade. So for me I will be using bulletin boards the most. But I also could use blogs, and E-mail. I think that bulitin boards are great to use because you can put almost anything on them. Also they are a great resource for children because they can refer to them anytime that they need to while they are in the classroom.

Sarah Bedard