Responses due by 9/22 at 9am.
This week, we're going to use a constructive activity on the blog for the Roblyer textbook. Each of you should write a question about Chapter 4 that requires deep understanding to answer (e.g., should include integration and/or reflection, and the answer should NOT be directly available in the text). You should then answer your own question.
I will award bonus participation points for answering another person's question on the blog. To do this, just add an additional comment and note whose question you are answering. (One point for each extra question, for a maximum of 4 points. This is equivalent to earning an extra week of participation credit.)
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
Question:
After reading Chapter 4 in Roblyers text book, pick one of the instructional integration strategies for databases and after briefly describing it, tell why you think it is the most important instructional strategy in developing deep learning:
Answer:
I think that Teaching organizational skills is the most important instructional strategy. This is because it helps the students to organize information in such a way that they can draw relationships between isolated elements. This is an example of deep learning taking place. The students are using their knowledge of databases and technology and applying it to themselves and putting their knowledge to practice. Like the book says, they can start out with information about themselves and move outward to other people. These skills learned from using this strategy makes this strategy the best, in my opinion.
QUESTION:
In Chapter 4 it describes some of the issues in using word processing, choose one that you think you will encounter as a teacher and how you could overcome the problem in your classroom:
ANSWER:
As a teacher I think that I will encounter the argument of when students should start using word processing. I want to teach either first or second grade, which is pretty young for children to do work on the computer. I think that I could over come this problem by making sure that my students learn how to write, and that we spend time working on their penmanship. As a teacher I will just need to emphasize the importance of being able to write neatly, and know how to use correct grammar. I think that if I do activities with children on writing using word processor it can help increase their writing skill, and will also provide variety to keep their attention. I also can use word processing to get kids excited about writing by typing in different fonts and colors. In my classroom I would like my students to practice their handwriting as well as their typing skills because they are both very important in the world right now.
Question:
Name the three basic software tools, and then pick which one you think would be best to use in your classroom.
Answer:
The three basic software tools are: Word Processing, Spreadsheets, and database Programs.
The one that would most beneficial in my classroom would be Word Proccess. It will be used to make it so i will be able to modify my materials, instead of creating new ones. It will also help the students correct their mistakes more easily than it would if they were handwritten. If you don't like the way it turns out, you can just delete the part you don't like and put in another part. You can also switch two paragraphs to make your paper flow better. Either one of these tasks would require a new paper if they were hand written. If they were handwritten and you had to change something it could leave a smudged spot from the eraser, or if you erase too many times it can tear the paper. You can also change the style/font of the paper. You can use many different fonts for the paper and it only takes one try to make it perfect, and if you don't like the style it is easily changable.
Question:
Give an example of how you might use each of the three basic software tools in your classroom. Which of the three will you use more and why?
Answer:
In my classroom, I will be using word processing software to put together letters, newsletters, and other correspondence with the parents of the students in my class. I will use spreadsheets to track students’ progress, and I will use databases to keep track of information about my students. Because I will be working with preschool-age children with disabilities, my students will probably not be developmentally ready to use these kinds of software in our classroom. I will probably use database software the most because most of the school districts in Utah use a database program called GoalView to keep track of the students’ Individualized Education Programs, which provide the basic foundation for special education instruction.
Question:
While reading Roblyer's chapter 4, I was wondering if the school that I will be placed in would have a database easy enough to transfer into an automatic list of students' address for address labels for the special education department? It seems as though this is a problem for the whole department at the beginning of the school year. Would any of my classmates have an answer for this real life problem?
Answer:
I have not got a simple answer, therefore I have given it to all of the class for future information to me, and others who will be using multiple hard copy letters in the mail, as per the liability issues for special ed.
Reply Answer for cbrizle;
I will be using personalized letters to parents a lot,therefore this will be my most important strategy.
Reply Answer for bryndmax;
An issues that was brought up in the chapter was that using a word processor would be bad for students because they would not learn to print. I think that the writers of the book are correct, but thank goodness that they have computer-aided software for some of the special ed students. There are some of the students that I have taught that cannot use a pencil, but can use a computer, and it has opened a whole new world for them.
Question:
In Chapter 4 of Roblyer's text book, the author states that teachers can introduce word processing software, designed for young children, as young as 4 or 5 years of age. Knowing that children are still learning fine motor skills of writing at this age are you for or against introducing children this young to word processing software?
Answer:
I would say at first I would be more against introducing this technology to students that young. The author writes on to say that, "Some educators feel that word processing will free students from the physical constraints of handwriting and free them to develop written expression skills." After reading this I realized that I am not entirely against introducing WP to 4 and 5 year olds. I have a niece who is 19 months old and she is fascinated by key boards, and although she is still too young to comprehend what computers are, one day she will need to know computer skills. Although people can learn a skill at any age, older people have said it is easier to learn when you are younger. So for me I would have a balance of both handwriting and word processing activities to build up both skills.
t are your feelings about word process and explain useing references from the book?
Answer: I find that word processing is easy to use. I can share information easily. I can easily move information from program to program.
Question:
As a teacher for earlier elementary ages, how could you incorporate Word Processing into your classroom for the student to learn from?
Answer:
The text tells that a teacher saves time in preperation, enhances the appearance of a document, and allows you to share documents. It can also help a student, even younger aged elementary. Obviously, handwriting skills need to be developed as well, but as soon as a student learns letters, can they use a word processing system. You could use that as a practice for spelling. Let them type and put letters together, to begin by making words. By letting them experiment with the letters they can try different ways to spell words, and then choose wich way they think is really the correct way. After they are developing better spelling skills, and their knowledge of words is more sufficient, then you could move on to making sentences, eventually paragraphs, and on to whole papers. Even at early ages, students can and should at least learn how these computer programs work, becuase they will be using them for the rest of their lives, especially with school. So the basic skills of making words, sentences, and paragraphs will help them understand and develop strong computer skills.
Question:
After skimming the Recent Developments in Software Tools on page 121, tell about a recent development in software that you would like to incorporate into your own classroom. Explain the possible pros and cons of your choice:
My Answer:
I would like to incorporate the use of PDA’s into the classroom. These are beneficial because the learning can be used within the classroom, around or even outside of the school. Activities can travel and be added to anytime and anywhere, while the students have the capability to access the World Wide Web wirelessly. The issue is the cost of these products, and the ability to replace them if a student has broken or lost one. Another issue is the availability…is there one for each student to use? Another possible issue is technology malfunctions, if a student “loses” his or her work…what decisions must the teacher make? it can also be used for extremely productive learning activities. I would be able to provide my students with a means of taking technology beyond the classroom, research field-trips, note-taking and projects that can be done with the use of PDA devices.
RESPONSE to Brandie's Page:
Word processing, spreadsheets, and database programs are the three basic software tools. Like Brandie, I plan to most commonly use word processing in my classroom. Word is so versatile as far as uses: students can add pictures, write reports, make graphs or study sheets, write letters, and the list could go on forever. This will also help students practice their editing skills, however I would have students print out their written work and edit it by hand, before returning to use the computer editing tools, as I would not want them to rely too heavily on technology to do their work for them: technology can edit wrong sometimes. As a teacher, I can also use word processing to type and save letters and announcements that I send home with my students.
RESPONSE to Kristin zito:
I plan to use all 3 basic software tools while I am teaching. I will use spreadsheets to record student’s grades, progress as well as record information such as student averages and achievement. I will use databases as a sort of portfolio to store individual student profiles: sample work, contact information, observational and anecdotal notes, etc. I will use word processing for the student’s projects, my communication with parents and classroom signs and labels.
The database student profiles will help me to keep individual student information organized. When time comes for parent conferences, I will have all my information stored in a handy-dandy place…the computer, and I cant print off any necessary information. This will help when I need the information, it is easy to find and clutter free, rather than using a filing cabinet full of papers.
answering brandie's question
The three basic software tools are Spreadsheets, word processing, and database programs. I think the one that would be best in my classroom would be Word Processing. Word processing would be better because it is more simple and I want to teach younger children. I think that it would be good for young children because they would be able to learn how to correctly spell words, and they could have more fun using a computer. I think that children would enjoy writing letters to friends on the computer. When I was young I always felt older and smarter when I used the computer. Also as the book states it supports production of written work in any content area. Kids can use graphics to represent the math or science they are learning to make it more fun and interesting. It is also easier to read typing then sloppy handwriting. I also could use word processor to write letters to the parents about their kids, or just letters to introduce my self at the first of the year.
answer to cbrizle:
I think that teaching research and study skills would be the most important to teach deep learning. I think that be teaching children how to find information on different subjects is something they all need to learn. By having the capacity to research any content area they can find information they are having trouble with and research more to reach understanding. By researching it on their own they can make it personal and lear a deep understanding of the subject.
answer to sparkling pink pixiedust:
I am for introducing children to word processing. Although they are still developing their fine motor skills I think that it is important to teach children to type. I think that learning to type can improve their fine motor skills because the keys are little. I also think that as long as the children learn to write and do other important fine motor skills they should learn how to work word processing.
answer to mich milazzo:
I think that I would like to use the web- enable features in my classroom. I think that by being able to have links to other things in a document makes it a lot more exciting. I could use it in my lessons in power point by having links to movies, or pictures for my students to look at. By having links it will make the lesson more interesting and interactive for my students. Some of the drawbacks could be if the link does not work then it wastes time trying to get it to work, and then it gets the children bored because you as a teacher were counting on having the link. It also is complicated to set them up and takes time to find what you want on the internet.
Q: When it comes to the use of Word Processing, chapter four makes it clear that there are many concerns as to whether or not the benefits out weigh the cons. How can you go about using Word processing and still keep up with the much needed practice of writing by hand?
A: As a future teacher, I feel that students should be exposed to both writing and typing as much as possible. Our world of writing revolves around both type and hand written information. That is why it is crucial for students to learn each of the skills thoroughly. To do this I would require many of their typed papers to be written first by hand. When the assignment is due students will need to turn in both copies. This procedure works for all grades; even those as young as first or second grade. I wouldn’t however, require this 100 percent of the time. Many times I would only require a typed copy due to the fact that practicing free writing on a computer is important. This will help students transfer their thoughts directly to the keyboard rather than copying them from a piece of paper.
In Response to Brandie's Page:
I feel as though I too would use word processing. This is a great resource for saving time and keeping organized. As a teacher those are to very important things. It also makes me feel comfortable knowing that it is "model free". Being able to organize and enhance my information in my own way is very reasuring. Not to mention the appearance of work conducted on word Processing; it is created easily and can still look very professional.
What are some issues with using instructional games in the classroom? How do you think you could effectively solve these issues and how will you use them in your classroom?
Answer to Kristen Zito: I would use word processing a lot in my classroom, as I plan to teach one of the upper grades. I want my students to be more proficient as using software than I was upon entering jr high and high school. I want my kids to be able to use xcel effectively. I substituted for a secretary once, and had to create my own report. I had a very difficult time coming up with it, as I did not know how to use excel very well. I want to use this technology with things like financial planning, and other such uses that will teach them the basics and they will be able to apply it to other situations. I also think it would be good to teach them power point, as that is a fun option when creating reports.
Question
How can students use spreadsheets in the classroom to facilitate deeper learning skills?
Answer
The students will use spreadsheets to chart their allowances. This will deepen students learning skills by having them track their allowances for the school year. They will be able to see how much they are earning in a week. By doing this students can set goals on what they want to use their money for and be able to learn steps in saving their money. This will also give them a better appreciation of the value of money and material things.
Answer to cbrizle's Question
Teaching students how to pick out important information about a subject they are learning on a database is most important because it teaches students to reflect on what information is important. Just having information is not enough. There is a lot of information that a student does not need and is not relevant to the subject they are learning about such as trivia and information they may come across about a irrelevant topic that can pull up by word searches. Students need to be able to pick out what is important and what is not important. This is a skill they will use the rest of their lives. This causes deep learning by involving the students in their own education and by having them understand how and why information is relevant in what they are leaning.
Answer to bryndamx's question
One issue in using word processing I will encounter is that using word processing children will have a harder time handwritting assignments and that their handwritting will deteriorate. I can overcome this problem by providing opportunities for the children to hand write assignments and stories before having them type them on the word processor. Then the children will have the opportunity to put their stories on the word processor and edit them. They will also enjoy illustrating their stories on the computer and finalizing their stories making them look professional. Having them first handwrite their stories this practices and reinforces handwritting skills they need and then they will be able to use the word processing to finish their project. This last step reinforces processes and gives the children an opportunity to use creativity.
brandie's page question
The three basic software tools are 1. Word Processing
2. Spreadsheets
3. Database Programs
The best one to use in my classroom is word processing. I can keep files on each child in my class and update them periodically during the year. I can also use this in my class news letter over the years and update it. I will also use it to create a welcoming letter to the children in my class before school starts. This will state what we are going to learn this year, how excited I am to have them in my class and any individual messages I want to put in for each child in the class.
Answer to Amanda's question
For the most part I find using word processing systems fairly easy. The only real problem I have had is using a word processing system that will not convert to other computers. I have found out that I can still use the system I have been using I just need to save it in a different format. I can convert my document to another computer that does not have the same word processing system I have when I save my document in a different format and it works. Also I find using word processing when writting resereach papers is helpful. I don't need to worry if my spelling is totally correct, grammer, puctuation, ect. I can just write what I need to write and then I go back and do revisions and correct spelling without having to do the whole paper over again. I can change things in my document and add charts graphs and pictures that I want while doing paragraphical citations where needed.
Q: What are some advantages that word processing has over conventional writing, and likewise, what are some advantages of conventional writing over word processing?
A: A word processor is a powerful tool that enables kids to, provided they learn keyboarding skills, write much faster through typing than they can by hand. Being able to "get down" on paper, or in this case on the document, what you are thinking is a function of writing fluency and helps promote the flow ideas. In addition, word processing is a huge boon to editing skills, or changing the content of their piece for the better. Word processing allows rearranging, substitution, deletion, and adding of content extremely conveniently with the use of the cursor, cut and paste, thesaurus, etc. Also, handwriting need not be a burden to the reader.
On the other hand, handwriting is excluded from the word processor and the development and mastery of handwriting is arguably a good skill to have. It can add to one aspect of writing that often gets overlooked, that of "voice." Also, a word processor, with its uniform text, rules out any accompanying drawing that might enhance childrens' writing. Also, over reliance on computer technology could leave a student in a bind if they find themselves somewhere without it.
I personally believe that using both methods are very important, but that using a word processor is not done enough in elementary schools. I think keyboarding and handwriting skills should both be developed.
As a teacher what problems do you think you would encounter when trying to teach students about databases? How would you overcome these problems?
Answer: One problem in teaching about databases is that if there are not enough computers for every student they will have to share computers and the easiest way to teach is by having the students try out databases themselves. Another problem is it would be easy for students to get off track in using an online database. The best way to overcome both of these problems would be for student groups to take turns looking up things, and instead of using an online database use a program saved on the computers.
Question:
Which of the three basic software tools do you think you will integrate most into your classroom? What do you think are the pros of teaching this software? Do you think there are any cons?
Answer:
The software that I plan to integrate into my classroom is a word processing program. I plan on teaching 2nd grade. I think that some of the pros of using this software in my classroom are: students learn the basics of using a computer (logging in, saving, opening and closing programs), develop typing skills, students will be able to learn how to format documents properly, students will be able to convey their thoughts in a different way as opposed to conveying their thoughts from "head to pen", and students will be able to develop their computer knowledge which is increasing more and more important even at younger ages. Also, children already have technology integrated into almost every aspect of their life. Their Mom's car is interactive, they probably already know how to text, computer games, home entertainment/security systems, etc.. Students already use technology so much that using it in school almost comes naturally to them.
A con of using a word processing software in my classroom might be that students will rely too heavily on the spell checker and grammer functions. If so, I think that students' spelling and grammer might suffer.
Post a Comment