Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Questions for Robyler, Chapter 1: "Educational Technology in Context..." (choose one -- note which question you are answering in your comment).

Note: Comments due by 9/8 at 9am.

Question 1: How do technology benefits in practice connect to NETS-T #1?

The first NETS-T is to "Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity." How do the benefits of technology as stated by practitioners relate to this goal? (Choose 2-3 benefits listed in the figures on pages 15-17 of the chapter to make your case).


Question 2: Implications of New Technologies for Your Classroom.

On pages 25-27, Roblyer identified several implications of new technologies for teachers and students. Using evidence from your readings, identify the implication that you think is most important and explain how it will likely influence *your* teaching in future classrooms.

20 comments:

Mich.Milazzo said...

Question 2: Implications of New Technologies for Your Classroom.

Technology is rapidly changing; to an extent this is very exciting and useful, but in other senses it worries me a little. One of the most positive advances in technology is the prevalence of high-speed communication within portable devices today. Although this, like most any positive thing, can be abused (cell phone use in classrooms, etc), it can also be used for extremely productive learning activities. I would be able to provide my students with a means of taking technology beyond the classroom, research field-trips, note-taking and projects that can be done with the use of hand-held devices (not to mention, wasting less paper-sources). This learning and instruction can be taken from the classroom to the outside world, and I would want to use it for this purpose. I want there to be a lot of learning outside of the school. For example my class could use portable devices to take nature walks and capture images, or follow gps navigation maps of their neighborhood. We could perform science experiments and different locations and send information to one-another. We could research other states or countries with high-speed connection as well as email pen-pals for high-speed communication and research. I love that I can bring my laptop to classes with me, have internet access when appropriate, take notes, as well as use applications such as calendars (agenda), calculator and other useful tools, in one handy piece of technology.

The technological advancement that is neat, however worrisome to me is the visual immersion systems. I have never personally experienced this technology but know people who have, such as the virtual classrooms. These students sit in a regular classroom and are guided by a real-life professor who is teaching via computer or television based technology. Although this can be neat (cut budgeting costs for schools, etc), I think it can also have negative implications. It seems to me that this would cut off valuable opportunities for interaction among peers as well as teacher-student based interaction. The teacher would be unable to get to personally know all of his or her students, and would be unable to successfully manage classroom behavior from afar. I think it is important that all classrooms have a teacher for physical, face-to-face interaction.

Kristin Zito said...

Question 2: Implications of New Technologies for Your Classroom

Of all the implications listed in the text, the one that will affect me the most as a special education teacher will be support for people with disabilities. New technologies are introduced all the time that can help people with disabilities work with, and sometimes even overcome their disabilities. Because of this, I will have to stay as up-to-date as I possibly can about what is available, what works or doesn't work, etc. I will also have to find ways to adapt what I have in ways that will benefit my students. For example, one student I used to work with played video games at home to improve fine-motor and hand-eye coordination skills. I will also be partially responsible, along with the school administration and district, for finding the necessary funding to purchase adaptive technology for my students to use.

The amount of technology in my classroom will differ from most others because I will be working with preschool-age children. We may have some computer stations in the classroom, but we will not normally be using programs such as PowerPoint, word processors, or even web browsers. Instead, they will probably be used for educational games suitable for young children. Although there will be all types of technology in my classroom, the majority will be adaptive/assistive technology.

Brandie B. said...

Question 1: How do the benefits of technology relate to student creativity...

Just as practitioners said technology can help motivate students by gaining their attention. Students are fascinated with all of the technology and you can gain their interest and better help them to create many new things. It can also help with real world relevance. Student's never fully dig deep into to something unless they know why it is usefull. Once you have shown them how it is usefull, you are more likely to get them to fully and creatively engage in the activity at hand. It can also help make the teacher and students work more productively by providing faster access to information sources. When students have fast access, it helps them keep their train of thought and it helps them access the idea quicker without losing their train of thought and direction of their project or idea.

Bryndy said...

I think that technology can be a very good tool to create imagination because it has so many programs where students create their own pictures, characters, and other fun things where students can create their own thing. I also agree with the text on how it is good in how it provides faster access to information sources. Students can use the internet to do reports and put their own creativity into it but they are also to see and use information from the web. I also like how the text says that it lets students study systems in unique ways. I think that being able to do assignments in different ways is good for children because it will stick more in their brains and will be a new and different experience for the students and they will become a lot more excited about the assignments that they will do.

Maria B said...

Question #2:
While all the new technologies of today provide for a world of opporunites among students these days, I personally feel that flexible learning environmnets can be most helpful in the sense that students are provided access inside a school setting to use new computer tools and use applications they may not have access to at home. Because we live in a world where technology is readily used, it is important that students are given the opportunity to learn about and access these tools inside a class setting with proper instruction.

Kelli Searle said...

Because of the growths and changes in technology, it is going to be very important to incorporate that technology into any classroom setting. I like the idea of flexible learning environments, and think that this could easily be incorporated into my own classroom one day. I want to be able to give each student the opportunity to use that technology to their advantage, and they need to know how much they can learn from expanding their technological knowledge.

Mrs. Williams said...

Question 2:
"now the lab comes to the students" this is my favorite part of technology for teachers like me. The "labs" in the virtual world are endless and no learning experience can really be denied when entering the online world. One commercial recently showed children in the US talking to children in China on the television. This brought an idea to my mind. Having email pals that live in different countries help the USA keep up with globalization but also bring in culture rich activities and a broader understanding of the world around us. I also agree with Mich that saving paper is very important. In many schools they have paper rations which were hard to meet in classrooms where the teacher used worksheets daily. I see professionals could conference into our classroom and discuss with the students a topic we may be learning. Such as an orthopedic surgeon who has a full schedule. The doctor could set up a webcam at work and sit down for ten minutes and talk to my students about keeping bones safe all while not leaving the office and saving valuable time and resources such as gas! I am excited to get creative and fun in my classroom especially when it comes to technology.

analogirl said...

Question 2:I realize that, as time goes on, the classroom setting constantly advances to reflect the way a person could best be prepared for the work setting. For example, the trend with students' desks used to be everyone facing forward and the teacher lecturing all day. This trend changed to most classrooms having desks facing each other, in "teams". This is similar to the change in the work environment, as most people now work in teams to finish projects, or collaborate to work on them. The same is with technology. I think it is great that technology can more readily be integrated into the classroom, as trends in the work environment require its use.
I think some ways I want to integrate technology into my classroom include more uses of the internet to do research, such as to look up jobs they could possibly want, how much it makes, and to make up a budget for themselves with that career. I also think they should use excel as a tool for organizing such things. This is important, as this is a program I was never used to until my job required it of me, and I had to figure out how to use it on my own, which was a difficult struggle. If we get kids using these programs, it won't be difficult for them when assigned tasks outside of school.

Sarah Bedard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Bedard said...

Question #2

The implication that I think is most important is Adaptable Assessment Options. I think that this is important because it will help you to know sooner when children in your class might need more help in their lives.

Jamie Ney said...

Question 2: Implications of new technologies for your classroom.

With all of the new technological advances in today's world, the advancement that I am most excited about using in my future classroom is: the availabilty of high-speed communications. With the new software that is available I will be able to track my students' grades and also I will be able to have this information easily available to parents. I think that in Elementary school family involvement is one of the most important keys to student success. Information is the most powerful tool for parents. If parents are able to view which assignments were missing they would be more apt to make corrective action. Also, with e-mail I will be able to e-mail parent's making them aware of special events/activities throughout the week. Also, I can e-mail parents the weekly homework assignments.

Lynell_Dissel said...

Question 2: Implications of New Technologies for Your Classroom.

While all of the implications are important, the one that stands out is distance education. This would bring higher quality education to students who live in remote areas but have access to the required technology. I can imagine that in a few years, teachers will not only have the usual twenty to thirty students in their classroom, but possibly a number of students that tune in daily for the online lessons, assignments, and other curriculum.
Having been a distance learner, I can say that it may be a better learning environment for students with social disabilities. It would give them an environment is comfortable for them, and still allows them to learn along with the rest of their grade level.

cbrizle said...

Question #1: How do technology benefits in practice connect to NETS-T #1?

When I first read this question I had a hard time thinking of ways that technology facilitated creativity in learning. This is because I am not very technology literate and for me, having to learn how to use technology in education puts a cap on the amount of creativity that I might have put forth. However, after reading chapter 1 I realized that technology really does facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity. One way that stood out to me was its ability to connect the students with audiences for their writing. I have to agree with the point that students are more motivated to create quality writing that is thoughtful and creative when they know their work will be published and that many others will be viewing what they have written. Reading other students work can help inspire students in their own work. This idea penetrates all other disciplines as well, that can be published on the web.

Another way the benefits of technology inspire and facilitate student learning and creativity is by drawing attention to the connections between skills and real-life applications. In class we talked about deep learning and what that meant. Technology in the classroom means students are less likely to have "inert knowledge", or knowledge that they don't know how to apply to every day living. This connection that comes from using technology helps the student recognize where to use a skill they have just learned.

Students with disabilities are majorly benefited by technology in the classroom. Technology provides them with opportunities to learn that they otherwise might not have had. It can aid with sight, hearing, and manual dexterity and thus clearly facilitates learning and creativity for the student.

Christar said...

Question 2:

Technology is very fast growing. It's allowing us to have better, easier, and faster ways of performing all sorts of life's everyday tasks. The possibilities for better Education using technology are becoming endless. Going into classrooms and seeing things they have is amazing. They have computer labs next to every class to allow students to do testing, instead of doing paper/pencil testing. They have visual projectors to help enhance the learning environment. There are so many opportunities to improve the learning for those with a disability. Even us as college students have opportunities our parents didn't. We have the option to take online classes or communicate with Professors and fellow students all within the comfort of our own homes. It can make it a lot easier and it's hard to remember how it was before we had this technology available to us.

Melody U said...

Question 2

The implication that I think is most important for my classroom is support for people with disabilities because I am planning on becoming a special education teacher. There are now some and will likely be more programs in the future to help people with communication disorders, for example. There are handheld computers that can talk for a person that cannot speak well. This can help them communicate seamlessly with anyone that they come into contact with giving them an independence that they otherwise would never be able to have.

Lynell Hamblen said...

Question #1 Robyler Chapter 1

Technology inspires students learning by illustrating real-world relevance by showing them that math and science is not just school work but is relevant in their daily lives. I can use this in the classroom by showing the students a human heart on an interactive web page. The students can click on different parts of the heart and see how it works while understanding that we all have and need a heart to live. Another way technology can inspire students learning is by giving the students access to information sources about other cultures. I can teach my students and have them look and read on the computer about other cultures in society. They need to learn about different cultures because we live in a diverse society. Technology can inspire creativity by giving them visual literacy. I can have the students be creative in writing activates by having them write a story on the computer and illustrate it with visual designs. This will give them an opportunity to illustrate their stories that they may not been able to do without technology. Technology can facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity when using it and encouraging the use of it in the classroom as well as in their own lives.

Amanda Roper said...

Question 2

Technology is always changing. The things that I think of as new and exciting will be old news in just a few years. In classes this means that we will be able to present our concepts in new and exciting ways. The new ways will be able to get the students excited about learning and have them paying attention in class. I also think that when the students are excited about learning they will want to participate and want to learn how to use the technology for themselves. I also think that in a few years they will be better at running the different technologies then I will.

Will Walden said...

Question 2

I think that laptops should be available for use by every student in a classroom, though that may not be implemented due to lack of funding. However, I think that one implication that will be used in my classroom will be support for students with disabilities. The technology is already available to offer substantial support and also students who qualify are offered extra services. But the support would also be helpful for all the students, not just the ones with disabilities. So even if I have a limited number of computers in the classroom, voice-recognition, audio and video-assisted learning and recording technology will be helpful. I think also that technology could be a huge benefit to kids learning a foreign language. Computers can and do combine aural and visual elements and demand input from the user to help with internalization of a language.

kary anderson said...

Question 2:
Illustrating connections between skills and real-life applications- Roybler states that "technology tools support problem-based learning", and describes how you can use a virtual lab, forest, stream, museum or zoo for the class to apply the skills that have just been taught. Higher learning can be reinforced also through real life travel through the digital age. I will be able to reinforce some of the basic ideas that I teach, by letting my students create a city that they will build, and see the effects of industry and what it does to the environment without destroying the actual world itself.

kary anderson said...

Actually that was in response to question # 1. Sorry