Thursday, November 13, 2008

Roblyer: Content-based Chapters

Choose one question.
Responses will counted as on-time for one week following this post (until Thursday, November 20)

1. What is the biggest challenge in integrating technology for content-based learning in your area? How do you plan to resolve/meet that challenge?

2. Choose one technology-based suggestion for content instruction from the textbook that you consider particularly useful and/or innovative. Explain how the suggested activity supports deep learning and how it leverages the relative advantage of technology.

15 comments:

cbrizle said...

Response #9(I think):
My content area of interest is language and literature. In this case the chapters nine and ten most apply to me. After reading the text I think that the hardest part about integrating technology into my content area is helping the students "learn how to learn new technologies of literacy" (p. 291). It is important that as I teach children to be literate that I keep up with the new forms of literacy in technology. This begins with just teaching students how to learn using new technology. This will be very difficult for me because I myself don't understand how to learn from the new technologies of literacy. I think addressing this issue begins now. I need to start now to be a little more technology conscious and how I will someday be teaching technology literacy to my own students. It will take time, but I know I can get there.

Brandie B. said...

My biggest challenge, will be integrating technology. I plan on teaching Kindergarten, and all the kindergarten classes that i have been in over the years have never used technology. I have a hard enough time integrating technology for my self. I don't understand most of the technology stuff that is available for teachers adn their students. Like cbrizle, it will be hard to teach the students how to "learn how to learn new technologies of literacy"(p.291). Kindergarten students are just begining to learn their letters and numbers and by the end of the year they are starting to read. It will be very hard for me to find ways in which to integrate technology into my classroom. It will require a lot more work on my part to find places that are appropriate for kindergarten students. What i will have to do is really do my research on technology, adn the ways in which i can integrate it into my classroom. I will have to do a lot more studying, so i can teach my students how to use technology in an appropropriate way.

Kristin Zito said...

Question 1
The biggest challenge in integrating technology in my classroom will be finding technology that my students will actually be able to use. The special education preschool classrooms that I have been in have had virtually no electronic technology - computers, PDAs, and things like these are not available for the students to use. I have seen switches used to help extremely low-functioning students learn cause and effect and that they can manipulate their environment, but that has been the extent of the technology used. To help resolve this challenge, I hope to be able to keep up on the latest technologies that are available, using something such as Closing the Gap's database. I can also apply for additional grants and other funding to help purchase the equipment that can help my students reach their full potential.

kary anderson said...

Question #2 I chose one technology-based suggestion for content instuction from the textbook located in chapter 11 that I consider particularly useful which is; the Intel Play QX3 Computer Microscope. The description is on page 328. Since I am going to teach special ed in the secondary setting,I am sure I will be able to use at least one of the ideas in the two chapters, both 11&12. When you have mild/moderate behavior students, using a microscope seems to be off limits for them. I think that this is really a shame, and I am very excited to find a program that the students can actually use without breaking the expensive microscope, and still view images on a slide. I hope that this really works.

wendymaxfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryndy said...

question #2
The content that I chose to focus on was math. One of the technology resources that was listed in the book that I thought would be very useful in a class was the software program called, Geometer's Sketchpad. I think that this program is a great use of technology because it allows the students to create visual representations of geometric shapes that are very hard to imagine in their mind. By being able to see the shapes depicted on the screen the children in the class will be able to comprehend what they are learning better. I also think that this program promotes deep learning by allowing the students to, "explore and arrive at conclusions on their own"(pg. 333). I think that would be a great tool to use because geometry is very hard to understand, but if the children can explore the shapes and angles on their own they will be able to remember it more and grasp the concepts. It also helps them to discover why shapes have certain properties on their own instead of just memorizing them. Being able to explore all different kinds of shapes on geometers sketchpad will help students get practice with all the shapes they need to learn and discover the properties that shapes have. Whereas if you just taught geometry by yourself you might not have time to get to all of the different shapes that the children might have to deal with. I also think that this program promotes deep learning because it makes the math real for the students by having proof of the object on the screen, and it is more accurate than a hand drawing. I think that Geometer's sketchpad would be a great tool to use to help students understand all of the properties associated with the geometric shapes that are hard to comprehend with out visuals.

Bryndy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria B said...

Chapter 13: Interset: Art
A neat technology based form of instruction that the book mentioned for accessing art in the classroom includes using internet sites and DVD collections full of art work for students to view. By placing bookmarks on sites students can regularly visit them to complete work or simply see examples. Deep learning strategies might include having students get involved in these searches. An example may include giving students an assignment that requires them to find sources for painting that use still life as subject matter or that use the technique of chiaroscuro or that are 15ht-century Florentine. The Roblyer states, “When students are actively looking and sharing, more learning will take place”.

analogirl said...

Question one: I think the biggest challenge in integrating technology into different subject areas is making sure it is valuable. It might be that I have limited knowledge and usage of technology, but I think it is difficult to try to come up with ways for students to use technology productively. I think it is very important to get students learning how to use the internet to research, but that is the most effective way to encourage higher level thinking in my lessons that I have come up with. I think this class has helped me see that options that I have, and I need to devote more time experiencing them in order to get myself thinking in those terms. I think that I will then be able to more effectively remedy the problem.

Mich.Milazzo said...

Question #2
I read chapter 11 for technology in mathematics. Because I have never been good at or interested in math, I think it is especially important that I can make it a fun and educational experience for my students rather than passing on my outlook at math. I like the idea of using interactive math games for children to practice their growing math skills and support their deep learning. While it can be like a video game, the children are using their calculations and math solving skills, while getting excited to progress in levels and difficulty of challenge. I also like the idea of using graphs, graphic organizers and other mathematical representations. The students can have opportunities to view these visuals and decipher them, as well as create their own (with information they research and take note of). These images can be changed and reworked in many ways, when new data and information is found.

sparklingpink_pixiedust said...

Question 2:
In chapter 12 Roblyer dicusses digital storytelling. Digital storytelling is where students use "images and audio to tell the stories of lives, events, or eras." The author states that children can use these projects to incorporate their lives in their school projects. These projects can help students compare and contrast the past with the present, help students develop skills that can help them analyze and use critical thinking skills, and it can help personalize their learning. If the students are required to create their own images Roblyer suggests that in doing so it helps "to bring their lives into the classroom, creating a rich, authentic authoring space."

Amanda Roper said...

Question #1

I am going into elementary education. The biggest challange in integrating technology into my classroom is time and accessability. A lot of my students will have access to a computer while some of my class will not. Time is also against me with having to teach and do all the extra things that teachers are expected to do. I could see doing it every once in a while but I am not expecting to have so much time to put these kinds of things together. I am hoping to be able to already have a lot of these put together and be able to take them right into the classroom with me so that I can be ready to use them when needed in class.

Will Walden said...

In music, there are powerful tools available on the internet and on the computer. The biggest challenge will be allowing the students enough time on computers to become familiar with the software. For example, one program, called Anvil Studio, allows students to compose their own music through midi instruments, which are simple sound generators for the computer. However, the students would need many lessons and much time to be able to use the software. Not an impossible task, but certainly one that will require time. I know that most schools have a separate computer lab with allotted time for students to use. That will be the biggest challenge; giving them enough access to computers. If I had it my way, they'd have the computers in the classroom. Word processing is, in my opinion, another vital tool on computers that students should have access to.

kkimble3140 said...

Question 1

My area of interest is mathematics, so I read Ch.11 and 12. The biggest challenge in mathematics is changing teaching styles to meet the NCTM vision, which is for students to have access "to technology to facilitate his or her mathematics learning under the guidance of a skillful teacher". Pg 327. I am a junior and I have never used technology in any of my math classes for anything other than research or been taught how to implement technology into teaching mathematics. One way I can resolve this is by using what I have learned in this class and seek out good sites to use with math lessons.

Sarah Bedard said...

Question #1

The biggest challenge in integrating technology for content-based learning in my area is what to have to students learn when they are using technoloty for content-based lelarning. I plan to resolve/meat that challenge by using the resources of other teachers, the internet, andlesson plan teaching books.